Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I

This was a difficult post to determine a cool thing about marriage beginning with the letter I.  I ended up coming up with how there is not an I in 'us.'

As you two become one, you are not so much a "you" and "me" as you are an "us."  Now that is not to say that there is no more "me" at all, because you definitely deserve to have "me" time in your marriage.  What I mean in saying no "I" is that when making huge decisions, remember you are not in it alone.  You have a partner (and in most cases a family) to consider.  Keep your spouse in mind when making huge decisions that affect your marriage/family.  Consider their opinion and how they will feel or be affected.  Let them know you value their opinion and make huge decisions together. This can help you continue to have a healthy happy relationship.  

2 cents for today:) Happy A to Z!

8 comments:

danneromero said...

you are so right. always consider your partner...

Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Good way to think about marriage. Thanks.

Visiting from A to Z.

Monti

Jen said...

Nice reminder. When I first got together with my husband, I had to learn this one over time. Maybe I'm still learning! "There is no me, only we".

Unknown said...

LOVED this post!!!!

Emily said...

This is so important. It seems as though even the littlest decisions should be discussed with your partner. I try to always include my husband in all of my decisions.

Another important thing about the little "I" and marriage is using "I" statements when you communicate. I always try to do that. Instead of "You make me feel..." I say, "I feel like...." No one can argue with your feelings, so it's a great way to get over hurdles. :)

Anonymous said...

Love this post. We're getting married in July and I have been using we since I met her.

Crack You Whip said...

I love this because it is so true!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My wife and I have been 'us' for many, many years.