
Came across Jenni at Story of My Life and since I do struggle here and there with topics to write about I thought I'd take advantage of this simple and fun September challenge. Go here --> to find the rules for the challenge.
Sept. 3: Describe where or what you come from. The people, the places, and/or the factors that make up who you are.
I come from a very close knit southern traditional family. Ever since I was little, I do not remember a holiday that I wasn't around my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc... As children we hung out, and played, ran around. We did the same things year after year. Until we got older and families grew bigger-the only change then came were all the more family gatherings.We loved rodeos, trailrides, bbq cook offs, campfires-just loved the outdoors hanging out kind of things. I'm not necessarily a rider of horses, but I enjoy the festivities that come with a rodeo. I grew up going to the church bazaars and listening to live music. There was always a party or so it seemed.
One thing that was consistent was the family bond I shared and how I grew up knowing how important family was in life. No matter what the circumstances were, you stuck around and you dealt with it. There were good times and bad times, but the good always outweighed the bad.
Both my parents were the oldest in their family, so they grew up with the toughest rules and restrictions which later carried onto us. My dad worked 2-3 jobs to make sure we had everything we needed and every once in a while for special occasions we also got things we wanted. My mom would take us 4 kids with her everywhere-shopping, pay bills, to work and even when her and my dad would go out-we'd be there with them. We were 4-1 boy 3 girls and we drove my mom crazy! My mom stayed home until I was in middle school then worked part time. Eventually, she worked her way to having a full time job. She would always make sure we enjoyed kid things too. She would take us to the movies, the amusement park, and then we would end up at Pizza Inn with some of my cousins.
I had a great loving childhood.
My parents always preached about education and how important it was to have one. Needless to say, I always knew in my mind that college was not an option, but a definite path I would take. I am a simple traditional woman with strong family values. Education is a priority in my life too.
These are the things I carry on into my little family of 4. Life wasn't perfect for me. There were many obstacles and roadblocks that would make life difficult. However, it is my belief that my strong upbringing and prayer helped me see it through standing on my own two feet.
That is me.......in a nutshell.
No comments:
Post a Comment