Day 4-List 10 things you would tell your 16 year-old self, if you could.
I had quite a bit going on at 16. I was in my junior year of high school. I was a varsity cheerleader-something I had wanted since I was a little girl. I remember taking chemistry and loving it. Yeah, that was totally weird! I was in that...I'm close to graduation and I can't wait for college mode. I was in the middle of locating scholarships and finding out about different colleges. Yeah, I was on a roll. Until that is I found out I was pregnant. Yes, so at 16 years old I had a lot going on and needless to say it was quite a bit to handle. If I could go back to my 16 year old self, this is what I would have to say:
Dear 16 Year Old Self,
1. Continue to pay attention in Science class, you'll need it later.
2. Spend more time with your sisters.
3. There are people who truly care about you and there are those who really don't, choose your friends wisely.
4. It's okay to not have a boyfriend, just be friends.
5. Stay focused on college and your future.
6. Keep your grades up, it will pay off later.
7. Listen to your parents. They really do know what they are talking about.
8. Slow down...stop trying to grow up too fast. You'll miss these days when they are gone.
9. Speak your mind more often.
10. You are pregnant, it's not the end of the world. You will be okay. You still can have a successful life and you will.
That time of my life was a very defining time for me. It was either going to make me or break me. I chose to let it make me. I still carried on in high school and managed to graduate with my senior class. I didn't miss a beat. I still applied for college and attended the following Fall. As in my previous post, my parents were my biggest supporters and I couldn't have done it without them. I later married my high school sweetheart, finished my bachelors and went on to complete my masters. I beat the odds and am proud I did. My husband and I lead a very happy and successful life.
So, at 16.....yeah....it was one of those defining years in my life that I took and made it work for me. When some people here my story, they think wow, you have come a long way? How did you do it? My thing was I didn't know anything else. :) I knew what I had to do and just did what I had to do to get there.

No comments:
Post a Comment