The events of last Friday are unbelieveable, uncomprehensible, and just plain unimaginable. When I received the news alert text Friday morning, I was a bit taken back. As an educator, this had a big affect on me. It seemed like one of those events that happens elsewhere and not close to home. Although the physical location is not close to home, the fact that it happened in an elementary school did hit home for me and it hit hard. I could not believe that 20 innocent children lost their lives to a senseless person. To add to that, teachers and other staff including the principal also lost their lives trying to protect these children. I never like to ask God why things like this happen. But on Friday, I was asking why? I kept up with the stories throughout the weekend through FB, news reports, websites, and tv. With each new update, I began to picture my campus and thought-what would I do if it were us. What would WE do if it were us? The overall safety of my campus crept my mind all weekend. I always want our students and staff to feel safe on campus. I always want them to feel secure. Is there really any way for us to be completely safe in any place? These things happen everywhere-schools, malls, movie theaters....Are we really safe anywhere? Can you actually go on living fearful of everywhere you go and everything you do? You can't. We all have to keep living our lives with faith. We must pray away the evil and continue living not in fear, but in hope and faith that all will be okay.
My deepest condolences to all those families affected by the events in Connecticut. May God help ease their hearts from this lost. May the staff of Sandy Hook Elementary find the strength to get through this together. May they know that they are not alone and that we are all here praying for them. God bless the 26 lives lost that day. May they never be forgotten.

No comments:
Post a Comment