Thursday, December 29, 2011

tortillas para mija

My daughter wanted to learn how to make tortillas.  I barely remember making them once with my mom.  That's not to say SHE-my mom never made them.  She did.  I just only made them once with her.  I had an idea how to make them, but needed the exact ingredients to make them from scratch.  I ended up getting the list of ingredients from my grandmother when I visited with her on Christmas. So, we got everything we needed and went to work! 
We mixed all the dry ingredients together-flour, baking powder,  salt, and shortening by kneading it together at the same time adding hot water a little at a time.


Adding the hot water forms the masa into this "blob."  It has a sticky and soft feel to it. 

After the masa is made, we formed them into little round pieces to get them ready to roll them out.  
Once we made the little balls of masa, we rolled them out on the counter top.  We had to add flour to the counter top and rolling pin to keep the masa from sticking to each part.  



Rolling the masa out.


We didn't have a comal, so we had to use this small sauce pan to cook the tortillas on the stove. 

Our tortillas turned out pretty good!  A little folds and some shaped like Texas...but we had some pretty good round ones too!
I made a ground turkey and potato dish to go with the tortillas.  It was YUM!  

So, this little experience got me thinking of adding a page to my blog with recipes I enjoy!  I love cooking and I do more when I am home on vacation.  So, maybe you can look out for that coming soon!

Until then! Ciao!





No comments: